Tuesday 16 May 2017

Maa's Favourite Doll


 










Maa says as a daughter I had always been her doll.
A doll that she owns.
She tells me that I was the doll she always wished for, she makes me travel time while narrates me stories of her childhood.
A few years back when I was on the childish trail of collecting Barbie dolls, maa told me she wanted me to meet someone.
Since childhood I loved meeting new people hence I ran up to my cupboard and took out my favorite baby pink frock and ran back to maa saying get me ready I want to look pretty. She kissed my forehead and told me I looked beautiful always and that the frock gets prettier when I wear it.
She dressed me up and tied me two little ponytails applied kajal on the back of my left ear lobe.
Then I didn't know the reason, for now I know it was her love.
Maa held my hand and took me to the store room and asked me to wait while she took a red suitcase out from the big silver almerah
She opened the suitcase to take out a doll
A doll that was unique
It was a doll made of clay
It was beautiful
It too had two ponytails just like me
It made my little heart sprang up in great joy while maa introduced me to titli
She made me notice the frock worn by the doll titli resembled my baby pink frock.
Maa made me sit on her lap while she said how naani maa stitched the frock for the doll and how maa fell in love with her doll she told me how she talked to titli doll for hours and wished she could reply.
She told me the doll was her best friend and that I was her perfect titli doll.
Since that day maa and me are best friends forever while the clay doll made my collection of dolls look complete in every way.



By Snigdha Banerjee

No comments: